Munster part three
30 October 2005

This is my last post of the tank museum in Munster. I have still more pictures, but I think this should suffice now.

This is the 8,8 cm Flak "Acht-acht" anti-aircraft gun.

The 8,8 cm was not only a anti-aircraft gun, this famous weapon had also success as a antitank gun.

My grandfather has destroyed with the 8,8 two airplanes and several Russian T-34 tanks. My grandfather serve at the west front until the bullet of a Frenchman pierced his shoulder.
At the eastern front he was very heavily wounded, a toe was torn off and a rifle bullet was in his lung.
Because he was damaged very strongly, he had to work in an ammunition factory.
In the year 1944 he was drawn again and heavily wounds from an American hand grenade.
The fragments from the grenade couldn't be removed and he lived with them till he died some years ago.




This is the Russian T-34 /85 tank. The T-34 /85 had a 85mm gun.



This is a German 2cm anti-aircraft cannon 38 L/65. These cannon had the calibre 20mm x 138 and was fed from a magazine which held 20 rounds. It fires theoretical 480 rounds/min and 220 rounds/min practical. The 2cm cannon was produced 1939 - 1944.



This is a Kettenkrad Typ NSU HK-101. On the left side from the picture you can see the VW Typ 166.

Crew: 1 soldiers and 2 passenger Years of production: 1940 - 1944 Total number produced: 8345 Speed: 70km/h



This is the passenger car Volkswagen Typ 166. It has a cruising range on the road about 500 kilometer and was a amphibious vehicle. Years of production: 1942 - 1944 Total number produced: 14283 Speed: 80km/h road and 10km/h water



This is the medium armoured personnel carrier Sd.Kfz. 251/7 version D (Armoured engineer vehicle).
Crew: 7/8 soldiers Armament: 1x handheld anti-tank rocket launcher 39 with forty rounds. 2x MG-34 or MG-42 with 4500 rounds.



This is the medium armoured personnel carrier Sd.Kfz. 251/9 version D "Stummel"(stump)
Crew: 3 soldiers Armament: 7,5cm tank-gun 37 L/24 with 52 rounds. 2x MG-34 or MG-42 with 2500 rounds.



This is the Field Marshal Baton from Field Marshal Guenther von Kluge.



This is the legendary MG-42. My grandfather and the other German soldiers called the MG-42 "Knochensaege"(bone saw). The lower weapon is visually almost identical with the MG-42, but the weapon was modified and is called MG-3. My grandfather used the MG-42, my father and I the MG-3.



This is the Sturmgewehr 44. The photos under the weapon show the "Krummer Lauf", a bent barrel with a periscope sighting device for shooting around corners from a position of safety.



Many pistols and revolver...

As always, the pictures can be looked big, with a click on the pic.


Blogger G said...

Years of video games have made me somewhat familiar with most of the weapons ;)

It's interesting to hear about your relatives injuries - but more so about how long they survived. Must have been battlers (not just in the war!).

And the antiaircraft gun that takes out tanks! Whoah! Hadn't actually seen or heard of one before but once again German engineering = brilliant.

Top pictures... it really is good insight.  

Blogger Calcarus said...

as always wonderful pictures! its a shame the museums here arent as interesting as the one you went too!
the Sturmgewehr 44, is my personal favourite weapon to use in most ww2 games that i have played. its great to see one in a photo.

@ g, you use an 88 to take out tanks in both call of duty games! i think its also in MOHAA.  

Blogger G said...

@calcarus That big thing near the bridges is an anti-aircraft gun? Whoah.  

Blogger Mauser*Girl said...

Wow, you sure took a lot of photos at Munster - but they're all great! Thanks for posting all of them.  

Blogger JgStephan said...

Thanks at all! :)

@G - I play very very seldom computer games but MOHAA and Call of Duty I have played...Calcarus is right.

@Calcarus - The museums are not as interesting as the one I went? You have a comfort, the Australian landscape is very beautiful!

@Mauser*girl - You get all photos with the next package... :D  

Blogger Calcarus said...

yeah, i went to one recently here in adelaide with my gf and a mate. Basically all that is there is stuffed dead animals, bones and alike. The most interesting part, besides from the company, was these beer fact sheets hidden around the place. Talking of how beer was used to combat scurvy and other illness that you are likely to get on long sea voyages. Also that beer WAS brought on the first fleet to Australia! Which I found funny. There were some other facts too but I already knew them.
The museum was interesting but I find the world wars MUCH more interesting then stuff that I saw 8 or so years ago of which i can still remember basically all of!
That said, you are very right, Australia is just such a beautiful country!  

Blogger JgStephan said...

Thank you Porter!
If I could see a M1A1 in original, I would be happy. Climb inside is a dream. Drive the tank...for this I am missing the right words!

The medic was certainly a happy camper...  

Blogger JgStephan said...

Calcarus, Do you know Hans Bertram? I read the book "Flug in die Hoelle(Flight into the hell)" which he has written.

He flew from Germany to Australia with his seaplane(Junkers F.13) in February 1932. Nearby Wyndham he ran out of gasoline and he ran aground in the Kimberleys.

He survived without food more than fifty days. He was saved and celebrated in Australia as a hero.
After his rescue he made a sightseeing flight by Australia and was stormily welcomed everywhere. At the end of the year 1932 he was also in Adelaide...  

Blogger Calcarus said...

I cant say that I remember the name, but I have heard of a story like that before. I think the book title summarizes his experience rather well, if the book is about his ordeal that is.
You’ve got me very interested as to whether something about him is in the Adelaide museum. I think there most likely would be, maybe that’s were the story seems familiar from.
It is certainly an amazing feat to have survived for so long without food! I have some German blood in me so im more then happy to say that the German people have a great fighting sprit to go on! He certainly would of needed it.
He must of eaten something thou, it would be interesting to know exactly what. I think I may ask my grandfather if he has a copy of this book or knows anything about it. He most likely would, he has a doctor in history and im sure he would remember something about when Hans visited Adelaide.
Thanks for getting me thinking, once again! I love learning new and interesting things! :)  

Blogger JgStephan said...

Hans Bertram wasn't alone in the airplane, his mechanic Klausmann also survived but he got insane in the outback...
These things have eaten the two - A fish as big as a hand/palm, a lizard as long as a finger and three snails as big as a thumbnail.

They had nothing to eat in the airplane but a camera. There are some pictures in the book from the airplane, Bertram, Klausmann and from the the both in the outback. I cannot show the pics in my blog, because of the copyright. If you liked to see the pictures, then send me an email(JgStephan@email.de) and I scan the pictures for you.

Your grandfather has a doctor in history? This is perfect, please ask him. I'm very interested!  

Blogger Calcarus said...

What type of insanity did Klausmann get? Like one from just being isolated(alone) or wrong diet etc.
That’s not much food but they did very well considering the circumstances to be able to obtain anything, only in the later part of the 20th century did the majority of people start to learn about the Australian bush tucker.
I will ask him when the opportunity arises, im not sure when that will be. He lives over 600 km away from me and we don’t keep in touch but I will be sure to remember to ask him. I may talk to my mother via email about this whole thing and she will probably be as interested as we are.
I shall email you now for those photos, thankyou a heap!  

Blogger JgStephan said...

The tortures have made Klausmann insane, several days without water etc.
They dismantled a pontoon of the floatplane and built from this a little boat. A ship looked for the missed pilots on the Timor Sea and crossed their course, Klausmann to wave with a white flag and thought they would be saved now. The ship hasn't seen the both and has driven on. Bertram and Klausmann thought they would die and this was too much for the nerves from Klausmann.

I send you the pictures at the latest on Sunday.  

Blogger Calcarus said...

fair enough i say!
thankyou :)  

Post a Comment