Flaktower IV
04 October 2005

Today I show photos of the Flaktower IV from the district St. Pauli in Hamburg. I have taken the pictures last week. This is one of the biggest ever built bunker.
The bunker has a length and width of 70,5 meter and he has a height of 39 meter. He has a wall thickness of 3,5 meter and the blanket thickness is 5 meter. The bunker was built in 1942 and eight anti-aircraft cannons 12,8 cm were on the building. He had an independent water and power supply and even a hospital. Eighteen thousand people found refuge here at air raids.

I stand directly on the Heiligengeistfeld, the Hamburger Dom is on this place repeatedly in the year. On my left side starts the famous Reeperbahn in a distance of four hundred meters.

Actually the bunker should be blown up 1946, but the plan was rejected. Almost the complete living space from the city was destroyed and windows were installed. Many people could live after the war into this bunker.

In 1992 the building was sold and the camouflage was removed.

In the district Wilhelmburg in Hamburg is another Flaktower as on my photos. A soldier of the gun crew reports in this link from his experiences.
The links are in English unless of the Hamburger Dom.

Some years ago a serious crime happened in the bunker, I report from it later.


Blogger G said...

Looks like a prison to be honest! It's so big, and well ugly... I would've torn it town! Nice to know it saved some lives and made life a bit easier after the war, though.

Good pics!  

Blogger JgStephan said...

@G - Unfortunately, our prisons don't look and are so safe...

@Porter - I know nobody who has fought there but my grandpa was a gunner at a 88 mm AA gun in the war.
He has destroyed two airplanes and several Russian tanks. His stories from the war were very thrilling!  

Blogger Chuang Shyue Chou said...

I have only previously seen black and white flak towers in books. Thanks for sharing photos of these.

Splendid photos!  

Blogger Torben said...

My grandfather served there.

and I spent plenty of money on the DOM while I lived there.

nice pics  

Post a Comment