Baltic Sea 2006
16 August 2006

The last weekend I made a trip to the Baltic Sea island Fehmarn with my nephew Christian. He is 18 years old and the oldest son from my sister. We arrived the island on Friday afternoon and search after a good campground. We drove around the island and found a good place at the town Klausdorf near the city Puttgarden.


This is Christian, he sat on a rock at the beach. He is a soccer player and umpire, he broke his arm during a soccer game some weeks ago.

Our tent was in top of the cliff line and some other people were around us. The weather was good, but every evening we had thunderbolts and rain for some minutes. On Saturday was it very hot and sunny.


Here can you see the cliff line and the nice beach.

I love to swim in the Baltic Sea and in addition it's very good for my back. The Saturday was very hot and sunny, normally a perfect day to swim but we had a problem.


Another view from the coast with some rocks, but the rocks wasn't the problem.

We had the hottest July since about 100 years in Germany and trough the heat grow many alga in the Baltic Sea.


That's a view from above the cliff line and you can see the water is green through the Blau-alge(Cyanobacteria) and therefore we couldn't swim.


Here can you see the water in close-up view.

There are many nice plants at the island and you could see some animals.


Since my childhood I love these ladybugs. The plant isn't a cactus, it's a thistle.


A hungry bumble-bee on another plant.

On Sunday we had also good weather and at noonday I walked above the cliff line and would take some photos. Suddenly was the sky dark and I could see a interesting phenomenon. Usually we have very seldom tornados in Germany, perhaps tiny ones and this one was really big. Mauser*girl told me, a tornado that forms over water is actually called a waterspout in English and she gave me a interesting link. Below the last pic is a text: "A giant waterspout in the mature stage in the Florida Keys in 1969. During peak intensity this waterspout had a diameter of approximately 90 feet."
I have thought in this area are the waterspout's bigger than this one in Germany. I appraise the waterspout had a diameter of approximately 300 feet.



I could watch it about 10 minutes and take 14 photos, before I had to go into my car. You can see two car-ferry beside the waterspout, they look small but these are very big ships.


Another view from the waterspout.

Three hours after the thunderstorm we drove to my aunt, she live in Grossenbrode not far away from the island. We had a nice conversation with my aunt, uncle and cousin. My uncle was his whole life in the German air force and since two months he is pensioned. In January 2007 he will sell his house and emigrate with my aunt to the country Spain.
In the evening after lunch we drove home and we had very hard rain.

Usually I would write more about the trip, but I had again problems to post my photos. Now I use photobucket and not blogger. Tomorrow I will visit the blogs from my friends, I need some rest and in 3 hours I have physical therapy to fix my back.

By the way, click on the photos to watch them bigger.


Blogger Jen said...

I loved the new pictures Stephan. The water spout ones are really great. I have only seen a water spout like that once in real life.

It was off of St George Island in the Florida pan handle.

It came all the way up on shore and blew the roof off of a buiding before it died out.  

Blogger JgStephan said...

I'm glad you like the new pictures Jen, thank you. ^^
Interesting story, we both have seen a waterspout once in real life.  

Blogger Forzavryheid said...

I have NEVER seen a waterspout before...

I FEEL SO LEFT OUT!!  

Blogger Diana Kennedy said...

Great you are back, Stephan!

I also never see a waterspout before. Why is it always the others that face the real cool things! ;-)  

Blogger JgStephan said...

@Adrian - Hahahaha!! The evening before the waterspout I saw even 7 falling stars, I was a lucky guy.

@Diana - Thank you Diana. :) Perhaps you have never see a waterspout before, but you see every day your horses, I would be glad to change with you.  

Blogger Forzavryheid said...

SEVEN shooting stars???

Geeeeeez. That is so unfair. I havent seen seven in my ENTIRE life and you see them in one day?

RAUS!!!! : )  

Blogger Forzavryheid said...

I tried to access your blog from work the other day, and it wouldnt let me?

REASON? Inappropriate content: FIREARMS!!! : )

You rock buddy!!  

Blogger JgStephan said...

Hi buddy!
Inappropriate content Firearms is ver funny. LOL Perhaps I should write in the next blog post about firearms. :D  

Blogger Chuang Shyue Chou said...

I am currently reading 'The Northern Crusades' by Eric Christiansen. Your images of the Baltic Sea are gorgeous and they allow me to visualise what the people of that era may have seen.

The Teutonic Knights, the Sword Brothers, the people living off Jutland, and more.

Your images made history a lot more real for me. For that, I am grateful.  

Post a Comment